Saturday 17 March 2012

Letters In Cardboard Boxes , by Abby Slovin

Letters In Cardboard Boxes


Paperback, First, 260 pages
Published September 9th 2011
ISBN13
9781257961726
edition language
English
url
 
 Experience what advanced reviews are proclaiming, "An absolute must read...this is a novel you will want to keep with you for the rest of your life" and "A poignant and moving story...a true work of art."

Letters In Cardboard Boxes tells the story of an eccentric grandmother and her granddaughter alongside a series of fantastical letters they once exchanged. Their letters once traversed the East River to help Parker escape the loneliness of a childhood without her globe-trekking parents and communicate during her turbulent teenage years. Now, nearly a decade later, Parker begins to rediscover the evidence of this letter writing tradition, as well as the family’s untold stories and, unexpectedly, letters from her grandmother’s own youth that paint a very different portrait of the woman who raised her.

Letters carries us through the universally-shared experience of loss and the process of coping with life’s unexpected twists and turns. Through unusual and bold characters, the story moves through some of its heavier themes with honesty and humor.

Chapters of the novel have been released weekly, chapter by chapter, since September 2011. Through the weekly release of each chapter, the author hopes readers will be given an opportunity to discuss the novel itself and the experience of reading a novel online, reading weekly, and reading within a larger community. In this way, Letters is meant to be both a personal, as well as a shared, experience.

Readers who have not subscribed to the weekly chapter release can download the ebook or obtain paperback copies of the novel through the novel's website:

Ebooks: http://www.abbyslovin.com/letters-in-car...

Paperbacks: http://www.abbyslovin.com/letters-in-car...
 
 
 
My Review
This book was truly amazing and it brought a tear to my eye. What I liked about this book was the fact that it felt and seemed so real to me and it just made me think about how so many of us take our grandparents for granted, not really ever going to visit them when we have the free time, or stopping to listen to all the stories that they have to tell. This book was just an amazing eye opener for me because I honestly hate to imagine a world without my grandparents, or my parents for that matter. The book just seems to show you how important a family relationship actually is when it comes to helping you grow up and becoming the person you need to be. It was fabulously well written and there is nothing negative that I have to say about this book. It really did bring a tear to my eye because it was just such a beautiful story with so many morals for the reader to look into. Its a thought provoking story that challenges you to think about things that you perhaps don't want to face, like what it will feel like when you loose a loved one, or their memory starts to go. It challenges us to face those fears we all try to pretend do not exist, and yet are always niggling on the back of our minds.
 
For me this has to be my favorite read of the year so far because of how touching it was. I am running out of things to say about the book already because of how amazing it was. It just seemed to warm my heart but choked me up as well. I fell in love with all the characters, but of course dotty and tanya were probably my favorites because they reminded me of people that are in my life. Its a common fact in my family that many of them forget things easily, so of course its a fear that this could perhaps one day get worse and they will forget who I am. The book just wasnt afraid to go in too far, it wasnt afraid to state the truth and to show you how it actually all is, and that to makes a wonderful and powerful book, because not all of us want to state the very truth of how things work in life. 
 
The characters in the book were well developed and you really got to relate and connect to them as you were reading. this in many ways was a huge advantage because it meant that you really got to understand what it was that you were going through. Though, I personally would love to know more about Tanya's story as I just got the feeling that there was certainly more than meets the eyes when it came to her. I would love to know how she handled it all behind the scenes, and how her home life was. The book just has a lot of potential for it to become sometbhing bigger, and if this were ever to become a movie, then it would have to be absolutely perfect!!! An amazing read that I would recommend to EVERYONE.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...